According to BMW Motorrad, the new BMW R 1300 GS is a new generation touring enduro motorcycle with significantly reduced weight and increased GS competence.
It features a new boxer engine and suspension design, with an impressive weight saving of 12 kg compared to the previous model.
The engine is more compact producing an output of 107 kW (145 hp) at 7 750 rpm, making it the most powerful BMW boxer engine ever produced.
The suspension has a sheet metal shell main frame, made of steel and there is die-cast aluminium construction for the rear frame.
The new electronic Dynamic Suspension Adjustment (DSA) combines the front and rear damping with a corresponding adjustment of the spring rate, ensuring an even higher level of ride safety, performance, and comfort.
The motorcycle also offers adaptive vehicle height control and sports suspension as optional equipment.
It has four riding modes, including the Enduro mode for an enhanced off-road riding experience.
The all-new Matrix LED headlamps with innovative design are standard, with state-of-the-art LED light units all round and front turn indicators now integrated in the hand protectors.
“With the new BMW R 1300 GS we will once again take the competition by surprise. It is defined by an even broader spread of product substance, while the reduction in complexity and vehicle weight, combined with focused equipment, enable the essence of the boxer GS to be showcased even more strikingly. With a new engine, outstanding handling and impressive ride qualities, it will set the pace both on and off the road.”Thilo Fuchs, BMW Motorrad – Head of Water-cooled Boxer Models.
The highlights of the new BMW R 1300 GS:
- Completely newly designed boxer engine with bottom-mounted gearbox and BMW ShiftCam technology for varying the valve timing and valve stroke on the intake side.
- Most powerful BMW boxer engine ever.
- Powerful response across the entire engine speed range, exemplary fuel consumption, emission levels, running smoothness and refinement.
- Output and torque: 107 kW (145 hp) at 7 750 rpm and 149 Nm at 6 500 rpm.
- Knock sensor system for optimised travel suitability.
- Completely redesigned suspension with sheet metal shell main frame and die-cast aluminium rear frame.
- Even greater steering precision and ride stability thanks to new EVO Telelever with flex element and revised rear wheel guide EVO Paralever.
- Weight reduction of 12 kg compared to the previous model.
- BMW Motorrad Full Integral ABS Pro as standard.
- Four riding modes as standard.
- Engine drag torque control (MSR), dynamic brake assist (DBC) and ride-off assistant (HSC) as standard.
- Driving Modes Pro with additional riding modes as optional equipment ex works.
- Dynamic Traction Control DTC as standard.
- Electronic Dynamic Suspension Adjustment (DSA) as optional equipment ex works, with dynamic adjustment of the damping and spring rate, and also load compensation.
- Adaptive vehicle height control and sports suspension as optional equipment ex works.
- New matrix LED headlamp as standard.
- Headlight Pro with adaptive turning light as optional equipment ex works.
- Hand protectors with integrated turn indicators as standard.
- Lithium-ion battery with Battery Guard (service function via BMW Motorrad APP) as standard.
- Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC) with brake function as standard.
- Riding Assistant with Active Cruise Control (ACC), Front Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Change Warning (SWW) for safe and convenient motorcycling as optional equipment.
- Smartphone charging compartment with integrated USB socket and additional 12 V on-board power socket as standard.
- Seat heating for rider and passenger for enhanced touring suitability as optional equipment ex works.
- Handlebar riser by up to 30 mm as optional equipment ex works.
- Wide range of seat height variants as optional equipment ex works.
- Connectivity: multifunctional instrument cluster with 6.5-inch full-colour TFT screen and numerous features as standard.
- RDC, Keyless Ride, heated grips as standard.
- Intelligent Emergency Call as optional equipment ex works.
- Attractive basic variant along with the model variants Triple Black, GS Trophy and Option 719 Tramuntana.
- Extensive range of optional equipment, Original BMW Motorrad Accessories.
- New style alloy wheels.
Credits | Source and images courtesy of BMW AG, Munich (Germany).